Thursday 30 December 2010

Its time for more fashion photography!

I've chosen this Photo by Cecil Beaton as it's not one of his typical flowery and romantic photos, which I also admire, but a bold and striking image ahead of its time.

http://www.chrisbeetles.com/gallery/picture.php?pic=64532

What I like- Whilst the dress in this photo is very much a dress of its time, with a tight waist and a skirt full of volume,  and yet the photo makes me think more of the 60's. The straight black lines, which create diagonals in the foreground, make you think of Piet Mondrian  and Yves St. Laurent's designs of the mid 60's (Below). I think overall it is a very impressive and forward looking photo and at the time would have seemed even bolder and more effective, than its is for us in our current period. 

What I'd change- I think it's a highly successful image, and the only things I can think I might try would be the tone of the models skin, which for me is a bit grey/lilacy, and a less forced pose (although i do like the diagonal her back creates.)
YSL dress
Mondrain image




And the modern photos. These come from Chanel's A/W campaign and were taken by Karl Lagerfeld. 
What I like- I find this photo intriguing. I really like the way the brick pattern in the background fits in with the 70's/  Red Indian  theme, reminiscent of hand woven .  I like the original spacing of the photo and how both the models line up with one of the vertical lines of the building.

What I would change- From this photo I've discovered I'm a woman of symmetry. Something about the symmetry of this photo really annoys me. The foreground is so nearly isoperimetrical but some of the angles are not quite there, and the background would be symmetrical but not through the way it lines up with the rooftop. This is clearly just a personal preference but maybe I'd experiment  how effective half the shot could be by itself.

I love this photo, they way the model look so out of place, her fur outfit contrasting hugely with the straight urban lines of her setting. Again I also like her placing in the photo , as well as how her leg is the only diagonal draws your eye again to her. They way the tones all blend together with the dappled brick work and shadow greys is also very effective.  

It's hard to see in a small image but the rust and lichen on the stair well compliments perfectly the texture of the models jumpsuit- this is my favourite thing about this image.

No comments:

Post a Comment