Thursday 23 December 2010

Time for some more inspiring fashion photographs.

OK, I said Thursdays I would post fashion photographers, so here's my second post.
As my first photograph  I've chosen this Lillian Bassman photo, because i fell in love with her photos in the books I've been researching.
Lillian Bassman- Harpers Bazaar, May 1949, Piguet Dress
(From the book-Harrison M, Appearances)
What I like- I think this one is my favourite of them all, Its not as dramatic as many of them, but I love the dress, the tones, and  the quiet elegance of it all. I like how the pillar silhouette of the dress is reflected by the receding pillars of the background, how how this in turn give an architectural interpretation to the drapes and folds of the fabric.  
If I was to change anything- I think it would be the models pose. I like how the light highlights the lifted up skirt but can't help but feel it creates a very unnatural stance- It doesn't appear she's lifting it to walk or dance, but rather abstractly to her side whilst she takes in the view. I also like how the model faces out to, presumabley, the quad, but i think perhaps the same look could have been achieved without creating such a strong angle in her chin, as the rest of the image is so soft.

Autumn/Winter Chloe ad campaign- 2010/11
(http://bagaholicboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/chloe_fw10-womens-ad1.jpg)
The Second Photo(s)
I picked the first of these Chloe ad photos because of its obvious parallels with the first image. This time the image is much more real life- less ethereal- the model walking,in a hurry to get somewhere, looking at her feet as if watching her step.
What I like about it- I love how the stonework has been chosen to the reflect the camel outfit, and the warmth of all the tones. I also love the highlights in her hair, and the use of lighting in general.

What I would change- The car wing mirror, completely unnecessary. I'm not a big fan of photoshop but surely if the car couldn't be moved it could have been edited out, correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't see it adds anything to the image-only takes away.
(http://bagaholicboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/chloe_fw10-womens-ad3.jpg)
The Second Chloe Image-
To be honest I picked this one because of the trousers. I haven't seen any other brand or model work the "leg lengthening" trouser trend better than Chloe or this photo. I love the way the whole of the  camel outfit matches the tone of the sun-kissed stone behind exactly, and how very cleverly the trousers stand out against the steps- visually lengthening the legs. 

What I would change- Again for me the car is a little distracting, however i like how the colours compliment the 70's feel of the outfit and colour palette nicely. Maybe i would experiment with showing more of the car so it looked a little less like something that got in the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment