Thursday 13 January 2011

Fashion Photography 3

You may have noted that many of the fashion photos I analyse are romantic or very feminine. This classic photo of Dianna Vreeland however is bold and powerful. 
(Photo: Martin Munkacsi; Copyright Joan Munkacsi/Diana Vreeland Archives)
I love the angles of her leg as she walks, contrasted with the direction of her flowing cape- a key feature in the image. I also like the geometric angles of her bright white over sized collar which is complimented by the spiky feathers on her hat. The tones of the image make it seem many layered, with the dark cape sinking into the background and the lighter shirt and gloves pushing forward. The shadows are one of the things that really makes this photo good. I also really like the pale ghost of the skyline in the background.

What I would change- I am not the biggest fan of the angles of the face. I like the models strong eye contact which compliments the strong pose and clothes, but something about the angles of the face and the shadows this creates doesn't sit right with me.

Unfortunately this image has to remain unnamed as it came from a blog with no reference but I think it is none the less worthy for comment.
Degas fashion photograph
I love the Degas connotations and the and the line it treads between fashion photography and fine art. The movement and blurring of the skirt beautifully reflects the action that Degas worked to attain in his artwork with similar techniques.

I would change- the overlay. I think the image is just too much in three blocks, and though I love the idea of the three images it is just not subtle enough to compliment the rest of the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment