Friday 21 January 2011

Fashion Photography 4

The two fashion photos I've chosen today focus on the way brands, and fashion photography in general, try to sell you a lifestyle not just a garment.

Firstly we have a Richard Avedon image from summer 1956 Paris. Suzy Parker and Gardner McKay model in Le Sherherazade- the perfect couple.Their glamour is intoxicating and what's more, they know you are looking at them, their backward looks, directly into the eye of the camera. You want to follow them, to join in with their lifestyle and the exciting evening they promise to have.

Image from the book Avedon Photography 1947-1977 by Farrar, Straus &Groux

What I like- I love the viewer involvement the image creates, how successfully it draws you. I definitely long for a glamorous dress like that featured. Another beautiful thing about the image is its tonality and lighting. The highlights on the decoration bring it to life, and whilst in colour it might be garish in black and white it is a thing of beauty. 

What I would change- the only thing I can think to change would be the positioning of the girls legs, as for me they don't show of the true beauty of the dress, I'm encouraged to buy a beautiful dress but not necessarily that one. 

This image sells a very different lifestyle. The modern day couple in  Ugg's winter advertising campaign personifies the comfort, warmth, and outdoor-sy lifestyle the clothing represents.The cute couple are utterly laid back, care free, and natural. Endearing qualities that draw potential customers to the brand and items featured.

What I like- I like the way the warm tone to the garments, makes you feel the warmth and comfort of the clothes against the bleak winter backdrop.

What I would change- I might experiment adding more colour on the man's side of the image somehow, and just try out other even more natural and laid back posses, possibly with both the models walking. I would also like to see poses where the woman appeared stronger, slightly less dependant on the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment