Thursday 27 January 2011

Fashion Photography 5

For today's modern fashion photography I'll look at Celine's Spring/Summer 2011 advertising campaign. These photos are quite different to ones I've looked at before, and not necessarily my style of fashion photography. However the pared down photos are dramatic and well worth looking at. 

Celine S/S 11 
The first image shows how nakedness is used to cell clothes. The model is only wearing a pair of trousers and these are largely cut out of the frame. How is this selling clothes? Used here more like fashion illustration, the photo doesn't clearly display the item for sale but rather embodies the feel of the collection. The bright orange skateboard and pink background achieve this just as much as the sash on the trousers.

What I like- I like how a lot is said through a little. You get such a feel for the clothes and the brand , the ethos and lifestyle, without fussy backgrounds or interesting effects. The image is bold, easy to read, and attention grabbing.

What I would change- I don't like the models seemingly startled eyes, or how emotionless and bleached her face appears. If I was going for an abstract and non-distracting expression  I would rather her eyes weren't engaging the camera lens.

Celine S/S 11
This image shows more of the collection, making its Asian influences clear. The white background and modernity of the setting again speak of a pared down life style, simple yet bold with pieces that make a statement.

What I like- All the diagonals, and how the model moves across the frame continuing these lines. I also like how the flash of orange from her jacket ties in with her hair.

What I would change- For me the bag doesn't work where it is,  but I think that is just because for me its rigid structure is uncomfortable with the fluidity of the rest of the outfit.

Today's classic photo will be Hiro's Sloat advertisement featured in Harper's Bazaar in May 1965. 


Appearances, fashion photography since 1945, by Martin Harrison
This image and pared down in  a different way. The background is very dramatic and yet still not distracting as it's monotone.

What I like- The way the image is so monotone. Literally black white and grey. I love the apparently randomly placed flip flop which creates a splash of white in the left corner of the image. I like the way the black criss-cross of the dresses back links the background with the model, and how the simple plaid of the headscarf is the only pattern in the image.

What I would change- I might see what the effect was with the model sitting straight on with her back to us, and make the side fastening of the skirt less distracting /obtrusive. 


No comments:

Post a Comment